Every year, around late Spring, which is from the beginning of October to the beginning of November, the suburbs and streets of Johannesburg go from green to purple as the jacaranda trees are in full bloom. It is really so beautiful! Because the jacarandas in Johannesburg last for a short while, it’s definitely a must see! It is also perfect for photo shoots – to stand under these purple trees make for great photos!
So if you want to see the jacarandas in Johannesburg, grab your camera, get in the car and take a drive to one of these famous spots and you’ll be sure to find these beautiful purple trees:
• Melville – The little suburb of Melville is full of Jacarandas. Head to 4th Avenue and take a stroll through this lovely street. You can also make your way to Melville Koppies for breathtakingly beautiful views over the Jacaranda tree lined streets. What makes Melville extra spectacular is how the purple of the jacarandas are entwined with bright pink bougainvilleas.
• Rosebank – Take a walk along Tyrwhitt Avenue or Jellicoe Avenue and across Oxford Road into Melrose. The trees form an incredible purple canopy over your head and it is absolutely magical to stand below and look above.
• Saxonwold – In Saxonwold and the neighboring suburb of Parkwood you will find plenty of Jacaranda lined streets, so take a drive or a walk through. If you’d like to see the most gorgeous Jacaranda filled panoramic views of these suburbs, head to Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff. The best time to visit is just before sunset, so not only will you enjoy beautiful views but also a breathtaking sunset.
• Linksfield – Take a drive on Linksfield Drive (just off Club Street) all the way up towards Linksfield Ridge where the views of this suburb are also beautiful! Take some snacks with you and enjoy a sunset from here too!
• Houghton – One of Johannesburg’s most scenic drives, Munro Drive, also boasts gorgeous panoramic views of the Jacaranda lined suburbs.