Every year, around late Spring, which is from the beginning of October to the beginning of November, the suburbs and streets of Johannesburg go from green to purple as the Jacaranda trees are in full bloom. It is really a pretty sight and because the Jacarandas in Johannesburg last for a short while, it’s definitely a must see!
So if you want to see the Jacarandas in Johannesburg, grab your camera, get in the car and take a drive to one of these famous spots and you’ll be sure to find these beautiful purple trees:
• Melville – The suburb of Melville is full of Jacaranda’s but definitely head to 4th Avenue for the best photo’s. Or you can also make your way to Melville Koppies for breathtakingly beautiful views of the Jacaranda tree lined streets.
• Rosebank – Take a walk along Tyrwhitt Avenue and across Oxford Road into Melrose. The trees form an incredible purple canopy over your head and it is absolutely magical!
• Saxonwold – In Saxonwold and the neighboring suburb of Parkwood you will find plenty of Jacaranda lined streets, so take a drive or a walk through. If you’d like to see the most gorgeous Jacaranda filled panoramic views of these suburbs, head to Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff. The best time to visit is just before sunset, so not only will you enjoy beautiful views but also a breathtaking sunset.
• Linksfield – Take a drive on Linksfield Drive (just off Club Street) all the way up towards Linksfield Ridge where the views of this suburb are also beautiful! Take some snacks with you and enjoy a sunset from here too!
• Houghton – One of Johannesburg’s most scenic drives, Munro Drive, also boasts gorgeous panoramic views of the Jacaranda lined suburbs.