Where to stay in Matjiesfontein?The Milner Hotel was completed during the time of the Anglo-Boer War by James Logan in 1899. The hotel was also used as a Field Hospital during this time. Nowadays, The Lord Milner Hotel is a fully functioning hotel. I happened to walk inside and look around and it is evident that the hotel has a certain old-world charm to it. I cannot wait to return for a nights stay and experience one of its many ghost stories!
What to do in Matjiesfontein?
- Walk down Matjiesfontein’s only road and pop into the farm stall and coffee shop for some local South African treats.
- Visit the Transport Museum and admire the impressive collection of vintage cars, bicycles and old steam trains.
- Visit the Marie Rawdon Museum which boasts a collection of Victorian memorabilia.
- Hop onto the Old Red London Bus and enjoy a tour of the town. The tour is a quick 10 minutes … That’s how small the town is!
- Pop into Laird’s Arms and enjoy a delicious lunch of fresh Karoo lamb.
Have you visited Matjiesfontein before?