I feel like taking another drive to The Midlands just so we can stop at The Windmills Kitchen for another absolutely delicious lunch!
What is The Windmills Kitchen?
The Windmills Kitchen can be described as a collaborative food hall serving up delicious artisan food. It is the perfect stop off for the hungry traveller travelling between Durban and Johannesburg because it is conveniently located at the turn off for Nottingham Road.
There are a number of different food stalls all serving up different cuisines using quality ingredients and produce sourced from the local farmers in the area. The best part is that you won’t find any fast food joints like you do at all garages throughout South Africa.
The Windmills Kitchen is huge and has an entire outdoor play area for the kids and the dogs. Yip, it is pet friendly!
What food will you get at The Windmills Kitchen?
There is a huge variety of foods to choose from because there are 15 kitchens each serving a different cuisine! There is definitely something for everyone.
Here is a list of some of the different foods you will get:
- JUICE BREW – for freshly squeezed juices and smoothies
- HEY BREW – a coffee bar that serves fairtrade coffee and freshly baked pastries
- WINDMILLS PIE COMPANY – delicious pies made from locally sourced ingredients
- MR NAIDOO’S GENUINE DURBAN CURRY – real Durban curry with a a choice of either curry ‘n rice or bunny chows
- SPRING CHICKEN – serves up free range chicken cooked to perfection
- THE FREE RANGE BURGER COMPANY – a choice of smash burgers or farm wors rolls
- FARINA DI GRANA PIZZERIA – traditional Neapolitan style pizza using imported Italian flour and tomatoes
- WILD CHILD GELATO – fresh gelato made daily
- THE BREAKFAST BAR – offers breakfast until 13:30
- THE EARL OF SANDWICH -freshly baked filled baguettes and toasted sandwiches
- SALAD BAR – you can get delicious seasonal salads and a Midlands cheese board
You will also find the Marketplace which sells biltong, soulflour breads, freshly baked cakes and all other delicious snacks.
How does it work?
As you walk into the restaurant, you are given an identifier tag. Anything you order and buy from The Windmills Kitchen will be placed on one bill – this means that you and your family can order from any of the stalls and only pay once when you exit the restaurant at one of the cashiers.
The Windmills Kitchen with its easy access from the N3 highway is open from 06h00 to 17h30 every day. There is also a Grab and Go section which stays open till 20h00 (it’s complimented by a picnic area, a kid’s play area, clean, high-class toilets and doggy poop pens).
So the next time you take a drive to Durban or any of the surrounding areas, make a stop at The Windmills Kitchen for a delicious quick farm-to-table stop! I definitely recommend a pie and gravy from WINDMILLS PIE COMPANY, it was so delicious!