Some of my favourite childhood memories include waking up at my granny’s house to the sweet smell of freshly baked crunchies wafting through the kitchen into the bedrooms. I can just picture my granny with the biggest smile on her face when we walked into the kitchen to indulge in her freshly baked treats with cups of tea. The other day I decided to recreate these memories and baked a fresh batch of oat crunchies to enjoy during the holidays. That same smell permeated through my home, and my goodness, that nostalgic smell is everything. The crunchies themselves are just as delicious at that smell, FYI.
These breakfast oat crunchies are golden squares of pure deliciousness and are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or a cup of tea. They also make for a perfect afternoon treat. I like to make a fresh batch every so often and store them in a glass jar so they’re easy to reach. If you prefer, you can half the sugar quantity so they’re not so sickly sweet. But I find that sweetness to be so comforting.
Recipe for breakfast oat crunchies:
250g butter – melted
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 cup flour
1 cup coconut
2 cup oats
pinch of salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter with the golden syrup and the brown sugar.
- Pour the melted butter, golden syrup and brown sugar mix into the dry ingredients bowl and combine well.
- Pour the crunchie mixture into a well greased baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing into squares.
More recipes: My Aunty’s recipe for the best cupcakes
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @minkys.co.za on Instagram.