I have a new obsession but at least its a healthy one. I am totally obsessed with acai berry smoothie bowls … They are just so refreshing, so delicious and so healthy. Acai berry smoothie bowls are all the trend right now and I can see why – not only are they pretty to look at but they are so good for you.
WHAT IS IT?
Acai (pronounced ah-sigh-ee) originates from the Brazilian acai berry and is harvested from the acai palm tree. Once processed, acai berries either come in powder to purée form and are absolutely delicious in smoothies.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS?
- Acai berries are very high in fibre and can help prevent and relieve constipation.
- Very high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Acai berries contain omega 3 fatty acids that helps relieve high blood pressure
- An energy booster that promotes strength and endurance because of the high levels of antioxidants, amino acids, essential fatty acids and protein.
- Acai berries contain key vitamin B compounds that help improve overall energy levels, prevents chronic diseases and is helping for solving inflammatory conditions.
HOW DO YOU MAKE AN ACAI BOWL?
Buy yourself some acai berry powder from your local health shop or online at Wellness Warehouse. Wellness Warehouse have two kinds (pictured above) and the one I always opt for is the Nature’s Choice because it’s a little more affordable at R124.95 compared to R373.95 for the Organic Traditions. Then blend with frozen berries, bananas or any other fruit you would like to add – you make it as you would a normal smoothie. But if you prefer to make it a smoothie bowl, then add less liquid. Once all blended, pour into a tumbler or a bowl, and decorate with seeds, granola and fruit. Ie: make it extra pretty!
WHERE CAN WE GO FOR TOO-PRETTY-TO-EAT ACAI BOWLS?
NOURISH’D in Cape Town
A: Ground Floor 177 Kloof Street The Old Garage on Hof Street Gardens, Gardens, Cape Town
THE GRIND in Johannesburg
A: Whitely Road, Melrose Arch, Melrose Blvd
LEXI’S HEALTHY EATERY in Johannesburg
A: 24 Central, 6 Gwen Lane, Sandown