Being a blogger means I am one of the lucky ones that gets to work from home. So because I have been working from home for a while now, I definitely have some tips to share with you. Now that everyone is working from home I’m sure you can all do with some help! With the next few weeks in a total lockdown, here are some tips to ensure optimum productivity.
Tips for working from home:
- Make your bed as soon as you get up
– If you make your bed first thing in the morning as soon as you get up, you will feel like you have accomplished something. It may be a small task but that feeling of accomplishment will set the tone for the day ahead. You will feel encouraged to do more throughout the day which is just what you need. Not only does this set the tone for the day, but also to walk in and out of your bedroom and see a beautifully made bed gives off a positive feeling and that’s just what you want!
- Have a shower and get out of your pyjamas
– Unfortunately you cannot spend the whole day in your pyjamas! You will feel totally sluggish and extremely lazy if you do. Well that’s what used to happen when I tried to stay in my pyjamas the whole day! Instead I highly suggest having a shower, brushing your teeth, washing your face and doing all your normal morning things and finally putting on either a fresh pair of “day pyjamas” or active wear or a tracksuit. Follow your normal morning routine and maybe even put some make up on if that will make you feel better. Spray a bit of perfume and get on with your day like normal. But just make sure you get out of your pyjamas!
- Find a space to work from
– Set up a little area where you can do all your work from. I’m not saying take over one of your important-already-occupied rooms and set up a whole home office but just create a designated space/desk where you can sit down and concentrate. This means don’t work from your bed! Make your little work space cozy with candles, a photo frame and even a bunch of flowers.
- Create a routine
– You definitely need some sort of routine to get you through the day especially when you’re working from home and it’s hard to find a balance between work and leisure. Having a routine allows you to switch off at the end of the work day and unwind! I like to wake up, have coffee, and do some work for an hour or two. Then I like to do my exercise in the mid morning so it breaks the day up a bit. I will be doing a full blog post on my every day routine in lockdown so stay tuned for that.
- Take breaks throughout the day
– Don’t forget to take breaks! This means that you consciously get up from your laptop and do something different other than your work. Make a cup of tea and read your book for a bit or go outside and walk in the garden. Just do something that will rejuvenate your mind. Maybe even do a quick 7 minute workout video – there are a lot of these videos now on YouTube.
- Make a to do list of every morning or the night before
– If you don’t plan and structure everything that needs to be done, your mind is going to be all over the place and you won’t get anything done! This means make a to do list and work your way through it during the day. Don’t forget to do the mundane tasks first so they out of the way and you’ll have a productive day ahead!