They predicted a very rainy weekend last weekend. And when it is rainy, what is better than staying home in the coziest pyjamas, with Netflix, a good book and all of the comfort food? So I planned ahead. I made roast lamb with all the trimmings, fresh fruit salad and delicious carrot cake muffins. I made enough of everything to last us a whole weekend of doing nothing.
Surprise, surprise. It didn’t rain once, but at least we had enough snacks to last us.
CARROT CAKE MUFFINS
For me, carrot cake just hits the spot when I am craving a delicious tea time treat … And also when the weather calls for a little comfort food either during winter or a rainy weekend in summer. These carrot cake muffins are moist, fluffy, scrumptious but not too sweet. With a little smear of cream cheese icing and a cup of tea, it is pure perfection.
For the Cupcakes:
1 cup flour
2 cups grated carrots
⅔ cup oil
⅔ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 350ºF or 180ºC and grease a muffin tray.
2. In a large bowl beat the eggs until fluffy.
3. Gently stir in the grated carrots, oil and the rest of the ingredients until everything is combined. Be careful not to over mix!
4. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before the icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
½ cup cream cheese (room temperature)
¼ cup butter (room temperature)
1½ cups icing/powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50 gm pecan nuts
1. Whip the cream cheese and the butter for about 5 minutes.
2. Then add the vanilla and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Once the cupcakes have cooled, smear as much icing as you like and then sprinkle with the pecan nuts.
Enjoy! They are so easy and so quick to make.
Comment below if you love carrot cake as much as me 😉